Some Bridgehampton History
8,000- 12,000 BC Ice Age recedes, sculpting moraine
and ponds on eastern Long Island. Native American settlements
established throughout Long Island
1640 First English speaking settlements established
in Southampton and Southold.
1656 Settlement of Bridgehampton began when Josiah
Stanborough built a homestead on land east of the waters of Sagg
1686 The original bridge that connected Mecox
and Sagaponack was built by local wheelwright Ezekiel Sandford,
who had been hired by the Town of Southampton.
1776 American Revolution
1840 Nathaniel Rogers redesigned the Abraham
Rose federal style house into a Greek Revival style building,
and William Corwith build the Corwith House
1865 American Civil War ends
1870 The Long Island Rail Road arrived in 1870,
bringing with it visitors and new residents.
1877 The Hampton Library opened
1895 The newspaper, The Bridgehampton News, was
1895 The Bridgehampton Fire Department was established
1909 The Bridgehampton National Bank opened on
1910 The Bridgehampton Monument was unveiled
and dedicated on July 4 during the 250th Anniversary Celebration
of the settlement of Bridgehampton.
1928 First elected BH Police Commissioner to
head up their own police department.
1956 The Bridgehampton Historical Society was
chartered by the NYS Board of Regents.
1972 The Plaza East Shopping Plaza was built
on land that was once a family farm and Drive-in theater, continuing
a century-long transition from an agrarian to more diverse economy.
2003 The Bridgehampton Historical Society helps to preserve the Nathaniel Rogers House
Home • About
Bridgehampton • Special Events •
Corwith House • Nathaniel
Rogers House • Gift Shop •
Resouces • Links